Thursday, November 27, 2008

Easy As Pie

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Last year, I remember slaving in the kitchen for an entire day making a spiced pumpkin cheesecake with bourbon cream. Straining the pumpkin ... folding the pumpkin ... making the ginger graham cracker crust from scratch. All-in-all it took me about 6 hours to make. Then I find out that there are more people coming to our dinner party than planned and I thought, "oh crap! There's not going to be enough cheesecake!" So, knowing that I didn't have another 6 hours to whip up another one of these babies, I made a simple pumpkin pie from the recipe off the can. And would you believe, everyone loved the PIE more than the CHEESECAKE!?!?! The pumpkin pie was gone as soon as I put it down on the table, but I had leftovers of cheesecake for the entire week (not very good for my girlish figure).


Maybe it is the tradition of the dessert that gives us comfort and a little sentimental nostalgia, but pumpkin pie is always a Thanksgiving favorite. In case you need to whip one up last minute this Thanksgiving Day, here is the recipe to show you how quick and easy it is. Enjoy the holiday! Don't stress over dessert.

INGREDIENTS


1 Can Pumpkin (15 oz)

1 Can Evaporated Milk

1 Unbaked 9" Pie Shell

3/4 Cup Sugar

1 Tsp Salt

1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon

1/2 Tsp Ground Cloves

2 Eggs


1) Mix all of your dry ingredients together ...
sugar, salt, cinnamon, & cloves. Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees.


2) Beat eggs in a separate bowl. Like my action shot?
I'll call it my egg blob. Yeah, it's not really a high-tech sports camera. Ha!


3) Add pumpkin to sugar and spice mixture.
Then slowly add in eggs and evaporated milk.



4) Pour mixture into pie shell. Then, take one beaten egg white
and gloss the pie crust for that browning effect.
In the absence of a pastry brush, it's just as easy to use your fingers.


5) Cover just the edge of the crust in tin foil (to prevent burning)
and bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake for 45 minutes.

Voila! Easy As Pie!




Happy Thanksgiving!
--Rachelle

###

No comments:

Post a Comment