Friday, October 31, 2008

Savory Pumpkin Soup


I recently attended a Wine Tasting Dinner (event post coming soon!) at the Adora Inn where the 1st course served was an autumn inspired savory pumpkin soup. Pumpkin soups I've tried in the past are usually sweet and dessert-like. This one was smokey and savory. Perfect for warming up your hands and your soul. I've decided it's going to top my comfort food list ... well above homemade mac & cheese, hot tea, and chocolate. Okay, maybe not chocolate. But definitely up there at the top for comfort cravings.

To my surprise, it is actually pretty simple and easy to make. Although, I don't know that I can quite saute sage like Arthur, but I'll have to give it a whirl! Here's the recipe ...


SAVORY PUMPKIN SOUP

Ingredients

1 Can Pumpkin Puree (make sure it is not "pie filling")
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Onion
2 Carrots (Peeled and Diced)
1 Apple (Peeled and Diced)
1 Tablespoon Sage Leaves
3 Cups Chicken Stock
1 Cup Cream
Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper

1) In a large frying pan, saute the onion, carrot, apple and sage until all are tender.

2) Add the sauteed ingredients to food processor or blender and puree the mixture.

3) In a stockpot over medium heat, add the puree, chicken stock and pumpkin. (If you'd like to try fresh pumpkin instead of canned, The Pioneer Woman has a great example for making pumpkin puree). Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

4) Next, add the cream and simmer for 5 more minutes. Lower the heat so it does not boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

5) Divide the soup into 4 soup bowls and garnish with sour cream and sage leaves fried in butter.


Chef's Note: I tried the recipe with fresh pumpkin but it always imparted a somewhat bitter flavor. I feel a little guilty, since I usually make all my recipes from scratch. The canned pumpkin purée is easier and better. -- Arthur



###

No comments:

Post a Comment